CSc 59866/59867 Capstone I/II Fall 2018-Spring 2019
Senior Design Program
Smart Living and Assistive Technologies for People in
Assignment 2 ( Deadline: November 19 midnight)
Note: All the writings must be in soft copies (PDF format).
Please send your writing report (in PDF) to Prof. Zhu < email@example.com> as an
email attachment. You are responsible for the loss of your
submission if you don't include "Capstone 2018" (exactly) in the subject of your email.
1. (20 points) What are the two objectives of image enhancement?
Please explain each to the best of your knowledge, using a few
2. (20 points) What are the three basic spatial domain methods in
image enhancement? Please give examples to each case.
3. (20 points) Write a small piece of pseudo-code for generating a
histogram H[L] for an intensity image I[YDIM][XDIM], where L is the
total level of intensities of the image, H is the histogram
array, XDIM * YDIM are the size of the image, and I[i][j] is
the intensity value of the pixel at location (i,j), with i = 1, ...,
YDIM, and j = 1,..., XDIM. You might choose to use a certain program
language that you are familiar with to write the code. You don't
have to compile the code.
4. (20 points) What are the three properties for edge elements?
Please explain each of them, for their meanings and importance.
5. (20 points) Please describe typical steps for edge detection.
Explain why each step is important, what are the possible issues,
and how you might solve them.